Cygnet Captain's Log: Issue 2
7th August 2021
Good afternoon Cygnets, this is your Captain speaking.
We're well into summer holiday season now, so those of you away and out and about, hope you are enjoying a summer break and a change of scenery, or otherwise just following all the Olympic drama and entertainment.
A combination of event changes and availability means we have now reached the end of racing for summer 2021. Well done to all those who took part in regattas, lots of experience gained, some pots one and plenty to learn and improve from. Now we look towards a busy social season for the end of the summer months, compressed due to COVID but some fun events to enjoy with the LTR Graduation and Henley Friday next week and End of Season celebrations and Club Day to follow at the end of August. More details below.
Outings may be subject to change and variation as we move towards the end of summer and availability becoming limited due to holidays, breaks from the water for the coaching team and maximising time on the water for our LTR graduates. Keep an eye out on fitclub and messaging as this develops. If you are signed up to outings, please make sure you attend or give as much warning as you can if you are unexpectedly unable to make it. Please keep the disciplined time-keeping so outings start on time.
The Captaincy and Coaching team are increasingly looking ahead to next season, preparing the training plans and schedule for Heads Season and beyond - more will follow: Season starts w/c 13 September.
Please read below - there are important updates about forthcoming events and safety information to take note of.
1. Important Safety Notices:
- Steering Tests: as mentioned in my last message, I am working with our safety adviser Charlie to arrange steering tests in the coming weeks, ahead of the start of the season. If you have not sat the steering test previously, even if an experienced rower who has experience off the tideway, all steers and coxes need to take the steering test to demonstrate sufficient knowledge and competence to be responsible for boats on the tideway. It is good practice for all rowers to have done so. Please contact me if you have not previously sat the test and need to put your name on the list.
- Steering, safety and boat handling: A reminder to always keep a good look out, when you're afloat make sure you are in the correct part of the river according to the rules and tide. Be aware of the likely hazards you will encounter when out on the water. This includes bridges, other river traffic and shoals (Especially above Putney Town, Opposite Chiswick Eyot and outside the club). Make sure you and your crews are proceeding with appropriate caution, especially at low-tides and in the in-shore zone: don't get caught out. Please also make sure you take care moving boats on and off racking and on the hard - ask for a hand if you need it. All of this is to keep you safe and our boats damage free. https://boatingonthethames.co.uk/the-tideway-code-boating-on-the-thames
- Reporting Boat Damage: Any damage to boats or equipment or things that need fixing must be reported either directly or via the damage reporting tool on the website. However minor or if you're not sure please make it known so it can be fixed or mended before others use it. https://www.cygnet-rc.org.uk/ssform-facilities-the_fleet-report_damage.html
2. Next Season:
- The next season will begin, week commencing 13 September 2021. The first race of Heads season will be Scullers Head, Saturday 18 September. If you wish to express your interest in racing Scullers Head, please see FitClub.
- Survey Says... The Captains and coaches want to hear from you as we develop plans for the next season and build a programme to help you and the squad develop and enjoy rowing. Please take a few minutes to complete the survey:https://forms.gle/j18dwympomHMLn5f6
3. Forthcoming Events:
- LTR Graduation Tues 10 August - Please sign up on fitclub and pop along to join in with the LTR Graduation event this Tuesday, with a presentation, BBQ and drinks from the bar after the outing.
- Henley Friday - You will have see the email from Marj, if you are attending Henley Friday (Friday 13 August) please register you interest on fitclub or contact me directly if you would like to travel by taxi with other Cygnets/BBL from Barnes. Deadline for Taxi sign up is Monday 09 August.
- End of Season Celebration: Hog Roast and Beer Festival at the club Saturday 28 August. Please sign up on Fitclub or contact me directly for more details.
- Club Day: BBL/Cygnet Club Day picnic and racing - again please sign up on Fitclub or directly to register interest. Partners, families and rowing widows welcome.
4. Sculling Camp (S'camp) 10 - 12 September
- For the weekend of 10 - 12 September, Cygnet will be relocating to our up-river residence at the Bungalow, located on Hamhaugh Island, near Walton-on-Thames and Shepperton. It's a chance to enjoy a relaxed atmosphere, make the most of some calmer waters off-tideway and develop skills for single sculling on quieter stretches. Some of you may even enjoy some upstream swimming (intentionally or otherwise). Generally sculling camp runs from Friday through Sunday but day trippers are also welcome, some limited accommodation is available on site, with plenty of garden too to pitch a tent.
- If you are interested, please register your interest on Fitclub (10 September entry) and also include the days that you plan to attend in the comment section. If you are interested in an early arrival e.g. Thursday please indicate. Assistance will be required for trailer loading and unloading and associated (de)rigging from all who will be attending. https://www.cygnet-rc.org.uk/sspage-news__amp__events-rowing_stuff-sculling_camp52.html
5. Getting Involved
- And Finally: Volunteering If you are interested in being involved and looking for volunteer opportunities to help out on the social front or generally, please do get in touch, there's plenty to be involved in and the club runs / is at it's best when we have as many people as possible lending a hand.
- There are a number of committee positions available that we are looking to fill, along with ad-hoc opportunities. Please get in touch.
- Application for Hammersmith Ferry Piers / ferry service - Please consider providing your views and response to the proposed ferry crossing, which is likely to impact on rowing and events on the tideway.https://www2.richmond.gov.uk/lbrplanning/Planning_CaseNo.aspx?strCASENO=21/1770/FUL
- 10th August - LTR Graduation
- 13th August - Henley Friday
- 28th August - End of Season Celebration: Hog Roast and Beer Festival
- 31st August BH Monday - BBL/Cygnet Club Day picnic and racing
- 10th - 12th September - Sculling Camp: Cygnet Bungalow
- 13th September - Start of 2021/22 Heads Season - Full training resumes.
- 18th September - Scullers Head
- 2nd October - Pairs Head