Cygnet Weekly Update: Monday 19th Jan 2015
19th January 2015
A cold but busy weekend. Albeit with much heat emanating from the shed on Saturday morning as a good number of us completed our 5k tests. It was a beautiful thing, and it did everyone good to see crewmates giving it their all. Thanks all who clocked a time (and as ever, any time is infinitely better than no time at all), and thanks to Sue for sticking around to encourage each of us in our ordeal.
- Tues evening, Squad Erg Night. 50mins feet out, rating 20-22. Blimey.
- Thurs evening, Circuits. Usual time (7.15pm), usual place (Cavendish School). Numbers had dropped off a bit from an encouraging start, so do please try and make it - the more the merrier.
- Thurs evening, food after training - Matt B will be cooking up a feast, let him know if you're staying.
- Sat & Sun mornings - crew-lists and outing times to be confirmed later in the week.
- We're entering at least one crew, and hopefully two, for the Quintin Head on 31st Jan - so please make sure you're available if called. Various combinations have been going afloat over the past couple of weeks, but a key aim is to get as many of us our first Head race experience for a long while (or ever, in some cases).
- Sincerely hope that Thursday 12th Feb is firmly in your diaries, for our 125th anniversary drinks. 7pm, Duke's Head, Putney. With perhaps some associated revelry.
- We will be running our next Learn-To-Row course in April, which means planning and marketing now. In particular, if you know of any friends/ colleagues/ acquaintances who might fancy having a go, do let them know and encourage them. A very high proportion of Cygnets learned to row at this club, which is great.
- the ordering window closes on 9th Feb. http://godfrey.co.uk/club/cygnetrc
- if you order that time the most you'll pay for an item is the '2-11 items' price (even if you're the only one), e.g. £54 for an all-in-one, £70 for a 'Mazu' gilet.
- if you're minded to get something to mark Cygnet's 125th year, a number of us will be investing in the Cygnet 'Zephyr' - which is fetchingly retro, and indeed is probably the only bit of kit that any of the original 1890 members would recognise...
- finally I have a couple of bits of brand new kit that Godfrey gave us as samples, yours for a reduced price (to go to into the Cygnet coffers): Cygnet 'Custom Finesse All-in-one' (L) £50 ono, and a Cygnet 'Custom Mazu Gilet' (L) £65 ono. Let me know.
As we approach the first competitive race of the year, now is a particularly important time to make sure that you're up to date with your British Rowing membership - as we literally can't enter you into a race without it. Also, if you're a CSSC member, worth ensuring that that's still valid.
There will shortly be a number of 'opportunities' coming up on the Cygnet Committee, and indeed on the Boathouse Exec. None too onerous, all good for the soul, and all playing a crucial role in the well-being of the rowing club and boathouse that we know so well. Nomination forms will be issuing shortly, but do have a think now whether you could lend a hand on one of the committees - the club and boathouse really do depend entirely on volunteers to keep things working so that we can all enjoy ourselves.
That's all for now.