Latest news, requests, moans and cajoling from the skipper
7th September 2021
Good evening Cygnets, this is your Captain speaking.
I hope you’re all well and having a good week. Well done to those who have been back on the ergs these past couple of weeks as we get into a bit of pre-season training, great to see so many of you at the club at different times – remember those first ergs are always the worst (apart from every one that then follows…).
Sculling Camp this weekend
Looking forward to seeing many of you at Sculling Camp this weekend – big thanks to Martin and Megan for doing an excellent job of bringing it all together and all the efforts in organising a nice and relaxed weekend of sculling and socialising up stream. There are more details attached on what to expect, what to bring and where to go for the uninitiated. Just a reminder that trailer loading is Thursday evening – please come along to help load if you’re down to scull during the weekend.
There will be no squad / organised outings from the club this weekend.
Start of Season: Squad Meeting - 14 Sept 1930
Next Tuesday (14th) at 1930 – please make sure you attend our squad meeting to launch the new season, to sign up for training for the season ahead and hear about the plans for the winter season racing and training from the coaches and captains.
Strength and Conditioning this week
The usual sessions are on fitclub, Charlie is not with us this week so it is an uncoached session – the plan should be up on the board in the shed and is also attached here for your reference in case it has been wiped off.
As usual any queries or questions let me or one of the Captains know.
Have a good week.
3rd September 2021
Good Afternoon Cygnets, this is your Captain speaking
A few days later than planned (for which my apologies) but a big thank you to everyone who attended this weekend's End of Season Celebrations and club day events - was great to see so many of you there and to get the real social buzz back at the club again.
Congratulations to all who raced on Club Day and thank you for the support from the bank in the Captain’s Race – well raced Martin! You’ll find some highlights from Club Day 2021 here
End of Season Awards:
- Congratulations to Mustafa Ozyurt, awarded the Wally Wheldal Cup for sportsmanship and endeavour as the clubman of the year for his huge efforts this season in bringing the club community back together and reuniting us all in response to the pandemic around the clubhouse and in the bar. Many of us have really benefited from Mustafa's efforts, reinjecting life and social spirit after a very difficult period impacting on life at the club. Thank you Mustafa for all that you have done in demonstrating the Cygnet Spirit.
- Congratulations to Rower of the Year, Matthew Gutteridge, awarded the J P Jeffries Cup, for his exemplary development as a rower and for representing Cygnet competitively across a range of disciplines in Regatta this summer, with a really positive commitment to the training programme and an excellent racing season. You can be hugely proud of your rowing achievements with us this season and I very much hope more to celebrate in the year ahead.
- Special rowing commendations went to Ross Stewart (last year's rower of the year) for his achievements and success in the single scull again this season. And to Gareth Furby for his participation alongside the squad and development during squad outings this season and the significant improvements in the coached land and water sessions. Congratulations to both Ross and Gareth.
- A big thank you to our wonderful team of coaches for all their hard efforts and dedication with us this season and to all the committed volunteers behind the scenes, around the boathouse and on the hard who keep us running as a club and a community making the successful and welcoming club that we are: thank you to you all.
- Special mention to Cris who was celebrated as outgoing Captain and awarded a special Cygnet blade for all his efforts over the last three seasons.
Thanks to everyone who helped out on the day and made it a very special evening – great to see you all.
- Final call to sign up for next weekend - please sign up via fitclub/contact Martin if you are planning on attending. Details will follow for those who have signed up about loading the trailer and the timetable for the weekend.
- Season starts Tuesday 14th September - Squads Meeting at the club 1930. If you are looking to sign up and row with us this coming season, please join us - we will be presenting the plans for squad training and races over the next season and getting us all together to get the season underway. Whether you are new to the squad/club or returning for another season, attendance is expected. We'll also be on hand to answer any questions you may have.
- Sculler's Head (18th September) is not too far away, anyone who has not signed up yet, please make yourself known if you are interested, entries are now being finalised.
- Pair's Head (2nd October) entries are now open, if you'd like to race a 2- or 2x please sign up on Fitclub or get in contact if you are interested in racing.
- The usual weekend water outings are on Fitclub, please sign up if you want to get on the water this weekend.
- Weeknight sessions for pre-season are also online, these are now land-based because of the earlier sunsets, squad ergs and strength and conditioning sessions are bookable on fitclub.
Safety and navigation
- You will have seen the recent announcements about the Barnes Bridge arch closure - please note the new navigation rules and proceed with caution: https://www.cygnet-rc.org.uk/article-barnes_bridge_arch_closure.html
- As the evenings are beginning to draw in, if you are going afloat independently, please ensure lights are fitted if afloat after 18:00.
- Steering tests will be conducted during September - please let me know if you need to complete yours.
Thanks all and have a lovely evening, any questions or queries just get in touch.
13th August 2021
Good Evening Cygnets, this your Captain speaking.
Huge thanks to all involved in the graduation event for the Learn to Row this week, a great evening of racing and socialising so thanks to all involved. A very special thank you to all who have helped out during the course to make it a success and in particular to Beth, Charlotte and Laurent for their work in organising, coaching and coxing the event. We are very hopeful that a good number will join our ranks and be rowing with the squad very soon.
Outings and land training will continue over the coming weeks, albeit at a lower intensity and for the select crowd not away enjoying holidays - we will look to get as many people who are around on the water as possible - including our LTR graduates - and make the most of the summer time and quieter waters out on the tideway.
Outings this weekend: Outings will be uncoached this weekend. Timings are as advertised on Fitclub and the usual scheduled boating times. Please keep a good look out on the river and for each other. I am away to the South West for the weekend, Martin will be onsite for Saturday's outing.
Squad Survey: Thanks to those who have responded already, as we develop plans for the next season, please take a moment to complete the survey so we can build a programme to help you and the squad develop and enjoy rowing. Please take a few minutes to complete the survey:https://forms.gle/j18dwympomHMLn5f6
- End of Season Celebration: Hog Roast and Beer Festival at the Boathouse Saturday 28 August. Please sign up on Fitclub or email me directly to sign up.
- Club Day: BBL/Cygnet Club Day picnic and racing Bank Holiday Monday please sign up on Fitclub or directly to register interest. Partners, families and rowing widows welcome.
- Sculling Camp (S’camp) 10 – 12 September: please register your interest on Fitclub (10 September entry) and also include the days that you plan to attend in the comment section. If you are interested in an early arrival e.g. Thursday please indicate. Assistance will be required for trailer loading and unloading and associated (de)rigging from all who will be attending. https://www.cygnet-rc.org.uk/sspage-news__amp__events-rowing_stuff-sculling_camp52.html
- The next season will begin, 13 September 2021. The first race of Heads season will be Scullers Head, Saturday 18 September. If you wish to express your interest in racing Scullers Head, please see FitClub / email Cygnet.email@example.com
I look forward to seeing some of you at Henley tomorrow - promises to be a great afternoon at HRR, enjoy the racing and the fizz!
As usual any queries, comments or questions please do get in touch.