1st February 1900
By 1904, Cygnet had outgrown its existing premises at Aylings Boathouse, Putney, and a decision was made to move to Biffin's Boathouse at Hammersmith. R.B.Etherington-Smith, an outstanding oarsmen of his time, became president in 1902 and Cygnet began to compete at open regattas. Upriver rowing trips continued to grow in popularity and Cygnet rented a plot of land on Hamhaugh Island, Shepperton in 1909, the forerunner of 'The Camp'.
Early camping days at Hamhaugh Island, 1909
Sarsons, sausages and cider, Hamhaugh Island, 1909
Arthur Brittan, fourth from left, and 'Wally' Wheldal, second from right