1960s: Rebuilding the Second Estate
2nd February 1960
One of the greatest club achievements of the 1960s was the rebuilding of 'Cygnets', the somewhat rudimentary structure constructed out of two 1914-18 Nissen huts on Hamhaugh Island, Shepperton. Work began on the demolition of the old bungalow in February, 1964 and the grand opening of the new structure took place on the August bank holiday, a monument of sorts to self help and DIY. Photographs in this section chronicle the project from beginning to end.