January Lockdown 3 BR Advice
5th January 2021
Advice from British Rowing to all clubs following the new Government guidelines issued on Monday 4th January 2021.
Tonight the Prime Minister announced nationwide restrictions in light of rising numbers of COVID-19 cases across the country due to come into effect immediately (and into law later in the week). Unfortunately part of these restrictions are a requirement for sports clubs to close and, as such, rowing clubs should close their rowing facilities with immediate effect.
During this time:
- we advise affiliated clubs to close all facilities;
- indoor training facilities should be closed;
- intra-club competition, private matches and affiliated competitions should not take place; and,
inline with other pubs and restaurants, hospitality facilities may operate as takeaway only (although in the vast majority of cases this is probably not practical for rowing clubs).
Clubs are reminded of the guidance available on page 60 of our Managing COVID-19 document with a checklist for securing your facilities before a closure.
Whilst personal exercise is permitted once a day, with club facilities shut rowing will only be possible if:
- you are able to safely access, launch and recover your boat without accessing your club (e.g. stored at home and launched from a public space);
- if you are able to do this without leaving your local area;
- in a single or single household/support bubble crew; and,
- if the relevant waterway authorities permit recreational boating.
Particularly, given the current cold weather conditions, we would recommend carefully considering your risk assessment before exercising in this way. As a rowing community, we do not want to put any additional pressure on emergency services having to rescue rowers or treat the effects of cold exposure.
At this stage, there are no exemptions for junior rowing to any of the restrictions, however, organised outdoor adaptive rowing is permitted to continue.
Thank you as always to the many volunteers up and down the country working to help support their fellow rowers. Thanks to the continued support of our members, our team remains on hand to answer any questions you might have via clubsupport [at] britishrowing.org