Cygnet Weekly Update: Monday 26th Jan 2015
26th January 2015
Great to have 8s training side by side on the water over the weekend. And not a moment too soon, as the first race is upon us, with Quintin Head on Saturday.
We've got two crews racing, and the draw's up: our Masters B crew are off at number 60, and our Novice crew are off at number 175. BBLRC are off at 186. Race starts at 1.45pm, from Chiswick Bridge to Harrods.
It's great to have two 8s racing on Saturday, as that's our aim for the Head of the River Race weekend at the end of March - and we'll enter more crews if we've got the numbers. We've got more opportunities to race and try different combinations in the timetable, including Henley 4s & 8s Head (14th Feb), and Hammersmith Head (1st Mar), and we will get as many Cygnets racing as possible. But that does mean having 16+ oarsmen available for regular on-the-water training as much as possible for the next couple of months. And turnout at ergs and circuits has been well short of that recently. So please update the spreadsheet for all of February and March, and do as much training as you can, alongside crewmates if at all possible.
- Tues evening, Squad Erg Night. 40mins feet out, rating 20.
- Thurs evening, Circuits. 7.00pm at the club, or 7.15pm at the school. Hopefully Greg will be back to chivvy us, as some of us have barely recovered from Neil's regime last time, but I'm not going to be too rude about that session, because...
- Thurs evening, food after training - Neil P is cooking, let him know if you're staying. Essentially, on a Thursday night you can get an intense training session, a beer, and a hearty dinner, for about £5. You'd be crazy not to.
- Sat & Sun mornings - crew-lists and outing times to be confirmed later in the week. The early morning outings (7.15am) have been effective in securing some quieter water. Outings on Saturday will be changed on account of Quintin Head.
- Don't forget Thursday 12th Feb, drinks in the Duke's Head, Putney, for our 125th anniversary drinks.
- Sculling Camp is now pencilled in for Fri 10th to Sun 12th April. Not to be missed. We'll also try and incorporate Sculling Camp into the next Learn-To-Row course. More details to follow from Nick Bates.
- another gentle reminder that subs are due. £260 for CSSC, £320 for the rest. Next week's reminder may be slightly less gentle given that it's payday later this week...
- no-one put in a bid for the bargain Godfrey sample kit I've got, so it's now reduced to £45 for the all-in-one, and £60 for the Gilet, both Large - let me know. (This may process may continue until the price drops far enough for me to buy it or for Bates to pounce on it as 'unclaimed kit').
That is all.