Cygnet Weekly Update: Monday 9th Feb 2015
9th February 2015
First up, to mention tragic business of Mike Hill, the Thames & Latymer coach who has been missing since last week. Our thoughts remain with his family and those that row with him. I will forward on any update as and when I get it, and it's not particularly helpful to speculate until we know more - in the meantime we will continue to focus on the safety of everyone on the Tideway.
The rest of the update is reasonably short this week, you'll be happy to hear.
I'm pleased to say that we've got an Eight and two Quads racing this Saturday at Henley 4s & 8s Head. The Eight has even had some training (including counting Quintin Head), plus an outing on Tuesday night. The two Quads, on the other hand, are in the 'Valentine's Special' mixed event alongside Barnes Bridge Ladies, and the row down to the start may be their only practice. BBL also have two Eights racing, so it's a satisfyingly full trailer heading down.
If you happen to be in Henley (e.g. for a romantic weekend break), the Quads are in the lunchtime division at 12noon, crews #50 and #53. The Eight is in the afternoon division at 2.30pm, #116. BBLRC are #162 and #167. Will let you know how we all get on.
If you happen to be racing, please can to check out the race fees page on the availability spreadsheet, and make sure you're in the black.Top ups to Sort Code 07-01-16, Account 15401264.
- Tues evening, Squad Erg Night. 2x 20mins, rating 24/26, changing every 5mins. (Racing 8 will be having an outing instead)
- grateful if people could stick around for 20mins afterwards to help with derigging and trailer-loading.
- Thurs evening, Circuits. 6.15pm in the Shed. NOTE THE CHANGE OF TIME AND LOCATION. This is a special arrangement to allow for...
- Thurs evening, Cygnet's 125th Birthday drinks, Duke's Head, Putney. You'll have seen Stu's reminder about this - there will be Cygnets at the bar from 7pm until late.
- Sat morning - no coached outings, owing to Henley Head race.
- Sun morning - crew lists to follow.
Finally, our Spring Learn-to-Row course will kick off with an introductory session on Sunday 29th March. Tell everyone you know. You may have spotted that this is also Head of the River Race day, but there is method in this. There will be lots of activity around the boathouse, and lots of Cygnet Seniors, full of their exploits from the Vets Head the day before, to share their wisdom. We will show the newbies the facilities, perhaps a first session on the ergs, then retire to the hard to watch the racing and partake of the BBLRC catering facilities. So if you know of anyone who might be interested in giving rowing at Cygnet a try, do let them know - you can't forget the date.